Super-Freeze

Suggest Your Reason Suggestions Here Please!
User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Super-Freeze

Post by Heigen5 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Think if Reason would always have all it's tracks freezed, but selecting a track would unfreeze that specific track. If you'd make changes to the midi, you'd hit render and while it'd be rendering that track into audio - Reason would STILL play back the midi, til the render is done. After rendering it would switch the track into an audio. So everything would happen on a fly. This would mean that your CPU would not hit more than few bars as everything would be always audio. Minus those tracks that you work on. Probably you'd only have 3-4 tracks max relying on the whole chain and the midi. I call it "super-freeze".

Theoretically this could work like a charm. Somehow I think it would also work in a practice. :twisted:

Additional thinkering about this: So the freeze would happen when you hit "RENDER". So it would render it from the source to the latest device in the Mix channel. Notice that you could change the volume and the pan or any knob/button on the SSL mixer WITHOUT a need to re-render anything. (as these parameters come after the chain). But anyway, it would be an uber-cool optimizing method and make our setups say thank you imo. :)

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Re: Super-Freeze

Post by Heigen5 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:51 pm

Bounce_in_place.png
So yeah, the everything in audio would mean that the bounced audio would be rendered til the TOTAL silence situation.
So when there's a long release, it'd bounce til the total silence.

We could even go that far that identical clips/bounces would copy/paste emselves without a need to bounce them all separately. (i.e. "ghost audio").

And because of the release issues, you'd might need 2 bounced channels sometimes? No?
Anyway, preferably the midi-clips and bounced audio clips would be identical in the sequencer.

All this would make it possible to happen on a fly then. Thus "Super-Freeze".

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 pm

Anyway, if one would go even further and would like to chop, stretch the audio etc. I'd just one-click-send it to a new audio stripe then and do it in there. I.E. integrated Recycle and Rex Player combo thingy, like I've introduced here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=195

Basically taken we could then work with the bounced audio by slicing it and triggering their slices on a fly too.
I so wish the Rex loops would have a timestretch possibility and we could also stretch the invidual slices too.

Bare in mind that this feature suggestion kinda has nothing to do with the actual freeze one. But, some audio-chopping geeks would like to have that feature available too.

PS. And of course, we could create new Rex loops too inside the Reason then.
You'd just do your slicings, stretches etc. and export it as a new rex2-file. /Or send it inside the Octorex player.

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:08 am

By the way:

If the whole midi is pre-known already as everything is midi-data, including the reverb knob positions etc, then could the bouncing to audio happen more quickly and on the fly? If the free LFOs have random timings now, but you would change these to the default values, then you should pre-know the whole project in audio too maybe? :leave: