Frequency shifter pinging

The guests can post here without a need to Register.
Practice your freedom of speech here .
Mostly un-moderated.
?
User avatar Aruba
DollarBill

Frequency shifter pinging

Post by DollarBill » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:08 am

Another technique demo. Many people who do modular synth stuff know that you can "ping" a (usually analog) filter, where you crank up the resonance on a low pass or bandpass or whatever you like filter and smack the audio input with a short voltage burst (like a trigger from a clock) and use the sound to make kick drums or weird bells or other synth voices.

You can also do that with phasers too. And, as I found out the other day, a frequency shifter can do it too, if you turn up the regeneration a little. In fact, I'm starting to suspect that a LOT of things that have resonance or feedback can be dialed in to ping - much how Karplus-Strong sounds can easily be made by pinging a ridiculously short delay with lots of feedback.

Anyway, here's a minute of stupid robot noises.

User avatar Iran
Ashley

Re: Frequency shifter pinging

Post by Ashley » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:47 pm

Love the robot noises, well done!
These users thanked the author Ashley for the post:
DollarBill

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:25 pm

I do modular stuff in Reason as you know and have created over 600 modular effect patches that I've programmed with the various Reason effects. Your approach is hardware, mine is software. I am thinking to make a very electronic-flavoured 4-track EP. Anyway, keep making noise with your setup, it's cool.
These users thanked the author Heigen5 for the post:
DollarBill

User avatar Aruba
DollarBill

Post by DollarBill » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:58 am

Thank you both!

I still do DAW recording & effects, as they have many MANY advantages, but one of the things I like about this type of hardware is that very few modules have a "Save" function, so it makes you build from scratch and learn with every patch, and it teaches you to capture the cool moments because once you pull the patch cables you'll likely never get back to that specific sound again.

User avatar Iran
Ashley

Post by Ashley » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:45 am

Yeah I get that, physically when the cables are connected you have that sound when you disconnect them the sound is gone. ..unless you make notes on all their locations, I really enjoy your vids something I think is too brain worm extreme than what my brain would be able to handle, looks so complex and confusing to me, but hey I like the sounds you get from it which is what counts, all the best $Bill hope you had a great thanksgiving over there in the states, have a great Christmas and all the best, ta, Alisha!
These users thanked the author Ashley for the post:
DollarBill