Not Acoustic Guitar...older song At Peace

The guests can post here without a need to Register.
Practice your freedom of speech here .
Mostly un-moderated.
?
Christmas Island
Mr. Marty

Not Acoustic Guitar...older song At Peace

Post by Mr. Marty » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:22 am

Here is a song I did back in 2013. I pub'd it in 2014 and posted it as a track on the White on Grey album.
It is not guitar, acoustic or otherwise. It was recorded live on a Roland G7 keyboard using the built in pads.
That said, it was still mixed and mastered as a wave, not midi. Still don't understand how you all do that.
It was hard to mix due to the long sustain nature of the pads so very little editing was done.
Bumped a couple frequency ranges and that was it.
I originally pub'd this with a guitar track but decided it detracted from the composition.
This is result.

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Re: Not Acoustic Guitar...older song At Peace

Post by Heigen5 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:47 pm

Hello Marty! Nice to see you here after a break.

Liking the pads for their warm character. What's the synth?
It's cool when people do songs with this few instruments. I'm usually the opposite, adding like 35-40 sounds or even more.
Chill vibe in this. How do I master? Basically I just send my tracks into my own custom mastering effect chain. I don't think there would be any differences if I'd do it for a wav. instead. Anyway, thanks for posting this. :thumbup2:

Christmas Island
Mr. Marty

Post by Mr. Marty » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:19 pm

Thanks Hekki.
It is the midi I have issues with. I cannot handle the recording of events then applying sounds. The mixing and mastering I have no issues with. I plugged the midi keyboard into the computer and it sees it. But I get confused when trying to record notes. Then the application of sound in Sonar. I am just stupid.

I don't remember what the name of the pad but it is like a full orchestra so any note played has the other parts of the chord. I actually like this but wish I could advance to individual instruments and hardcore composing. But most pads on the G7 sound like shit. A trumpet does not sound like a trumpet. A cello does not sound like a cello just some approximation. I imagine if I ever got into it seriously I might learn midi or atleast find better patches.

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:11 pm

Midi keyboard usage problems in Sonar? There's probably micro-tutorials about how to do it in Sonar, over the youtube. In Reason you just let Reason to recognize your midi-keyboard. After that you just have to have a rec symbol on for a certain track and hit Record and play. You can then quantize midi too if needed. Welp, I'm stupid in the guitar stuff though. :satisfied:

User avatar Aruba
DollarBill

Post by DollarBill » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:10 am

Liking the relaxed soundtrack vibes here Marty, and it's neat to hear something a little outside your comfort zone. If it was played a little slower, it might sound lonely in a good way, but this has more energy at this speed. I like the harmonic variety too, some tasty tensions/resolutions.