Loudness

The guests can post here without a need to Register.
Practice your freedom of speech here .
Mostly un-moderated.
?
Christmas Island
Mr. Marty

Loudness

Post by Mr. Marty » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 pm

I'm still struggling with this. For simplicity sake let's just say that You Tube resets your loudness levels to a -14 db level. Whether it is short term , momentary or integrated is anyone's guess. This means that any song you submit is altered in loudness to fit their standards. So if your song averages -18 db then YT ups the output by 4 db. So, what if you have peaks in your mix of 0 or even -2 db. well that means that your peaks are now +4 or just clipped to 0 db. Result, shitty sound.

This means that the target output needs to be considered in not just mastering but in the mix as well. I try to set the outputs to an integrated level of -14 with peaks either -2 of -3 db....just in case some idiots decide to pump up the master. This is a general approach which really does not matter with acoustic music as most often it is well below -14 and lands somewhere about -20 to -18 db integrated...or less. It really plays havoc with YT or other outlets.

Here is the problem. Consider a rip off a CD. Most rips will have a peak of 0 db. If you are trying to round out some of your favorite music you will find the rip is always louder ..and sounds like shit. Moderating these songs in the DAW can yield songs that sound far better but the output levels are less due to the adherence to the -14 LUF adjustments. So compare a remastered rip to integrated -14 LUF to a straight up rip means that the remaster is quieter.

Does this mean the -14 remaster is wrong? What do you think?
Does the -14 mastering play into your work?

User avatar Mongolia
Ifunkus

Re: Loudness

Post by Ifunkus » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:09 am

You don't mean being loud at a party then? 😂😂😂

Christmas Island
Mr. Marty

Post by Mr. Marty » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:06 am

No, nor was I referring to the fart you just passed.

User avatar Iran
Ashley

Post by Ashley » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:19 am

I don't master my songs, but in Reaper I make sure my mix is around +4db. If it's around +5 that's really close to it clipping for me, and if you get that clipped sound in playback you have gone too far. I have worked out this as a good measure for just going below the clipping db. The other day I played back my YouTube song and it was much louder than my mix and final version of the song but didn't clip so I'm happy with that.

User avatar Aruba
DollarBill

Post by DollarBill » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:45 am

I remember seeing a vid on the tubes about two years or so ago that had current (for then ) LUFS readings for all the popular streaming services, including Youtube along with some hints on how not to bork it. I'll see if I can dredge it up.

Well, the one I found is by the same guy but not the same video, from last year so maybe more current. Might be helpful to you. Or a waste of ten minutes at worst.

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 am

Mr. Marty wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 pm
It's not wrong to have -14db - but I always make my levels as near of 0db as possible, because listening to the music via headphones with the smartphones as example, need to have enough volume. If the biggest spike hits -0db (normalizing does this) - it's identical with the -14db. Only that I want my listeners having enough volume, when they listen via the headphones.

User avatar Mongolia
Ifunkus

Post by Ifunkus » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:43 pm

Heigen5 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 am
Mr. Marty wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 pm
It's not wrong to have -14db - but I always make my levels as near of 0db as possible, because listening to the music via headphones with the smartphones as example, need to have enough volume. If the biggest spike hits -0db (normalizing does this) - it's identical with the -14db. Only that I want my listeners having enough volume, when they listen via the headphones.
Same, I always keep it around 0db, but compress it so it sounds phatter, still holding around -0db with a limiter if need be.

User avatar Norfolk Island
Citizen Dolly

Post by Citizen Dolly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:36 pm

I think the theory is that you're supposed to do specific masters for each of the major platforms. I don't though. Can't say I've noticed that YT normalises or compresses volume levels.