Paul Todd from UK

New to the forums? Introduce yourself here.
Great Britain
BetaSession

Paul Todd from UK

Post by BetaSession » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi all, my name is Paul Todd from the UK. I'm a creative agency professional by trade.

I've been making music with computers since 1993. Starting with the Commodore Amiga 500 using Octomed then moving onto Impulse tracker on dos PC and Cubasis on early Windows PC. I'd love to hear from others with a similar background in computer audio.

I accumulated a reasonable home studio setup in mid 00s. I had rack mounted samplers, synths and effects all running through a full 32X4 mixing console. This is where I learnt to route hardware gear together and program complex midi arrangements.

Since the late 00s I've used Ableton but have ended up with Reason for it's convenience. I've been using Reason since V1 at the beginning mostly re-wired into other DAWs like Ableton and Cubase. However I've been exclusively producing music on Reason since version 7 and have not looked back. I now only have a mac, 2 portable midi controllers and some monitors and some good headphones - which is more than sufficient for my needs.

I make Jungle, Drum and Bass, Breakbeat underground type music. I'm heavily inspired by late 90s/turn of the century breakbeat based dance music. BetaSession is my music producer handle.

I've also played bass guitar and electric guitar in a variety of alt rock bands over the last 20 years. Reason is a great tool for laying down guitar ideas.

I'm looking forward to discussing reason and sharing ideas on the Reasonheads forum.

Best, Paul

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Re: Paul Todd from UK

Post by Heigen5 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:43 am

Welcome! Great read!
I myself started out with PC-music making in the 1997 with the Orchestra sequencer + Cubasis too. I used Vienna for making new sounds. Few years later I got my hands on the Fruity Loops. And in the 2002 I bought off Reason 2.0.

Anyway, great to have you here!

User avatar Belgium
Respoda

Post by Respoda » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:46 am

Hi there. Awesome to hear you've been doing music since the commodore age :)
I had just hit puberty in 93, just starting out with my first 'pc', a 386 DX with DOS 5.11.

I only started with music in '98 as a dj, spinning records. did that until my firstborn came in '04.
Still hadn't 'made' any music, and basically threw the dj career to the side.
Only in late 2012-ish, I started messing with Reason for the very first time.
That was my first encounter with producing music. Years after I quit dj-ing basically.

Since my main influence was the late 90's and '00s trance, house and techno scene in Belgium,
I do those genres, and all my music breathes that musical generation...

Welcome to what hopefully is going to become a bit more active.

:love it:
####### Music is expression. Expression spurs creation. Creation equals life. ######## #########################################################################################
## Your life is a musical expression of creation, life's exposé of matching sounds, ##
############################### all rushing to be heard ################################

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Post by Paralytik » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Welcome Paul. It must have been exciting to see the music technology advance to what it is today. So much has changed. I was born in '88 so didn't get to experience the raves of the 90's, but I love that kind of stuff. Bring the break beats back! Would be cool to check out your stuff if you have anything online. Cheers.