Almost everything in CV-wise can be done with a LFO + destination

Discuss Reason, ask or give help, or just say anything related to Reason.
User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Almost everything in CV-wise can be done with a LFO + destination

Post by Heigen5 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:32 pm

CV is nothing that special tbh. Most things you can do is using either envevelope curves or LFO and make it modulate with any kind of a destination. So if you have been thinking it's really deep and complicated then not actually at all. Sure, you can sound complex in a result but the whole overview about it, is kind of making automatic automation in a 0-127 ratio. :geek: :ugeek: :geek:

Ireland
Henderson

Re: Almost everything in CV-wise can be done with a LFO + destination

Post by Henderson » Tue May 28, 2019 7:06 am

Yeah its super simple to be fair, cv makes almost any parameter in reason accessible for messing with. One of the best things for messing with CV is synchronous though. Honestly this plugin is so versatile. The way you can bring a phrase to life with this thing is just invaluable IMO, kinda funny really though as its one of those plugins I never realized I ever need.

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Post by Paralytik » Thu May 30, 2019 5:48 pm

I really should get into using Synchronous more, haven't used it at all. Same with the Dual LFO.

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:16 pm

I did 20 patches for the Synchronous, which I released then for my Dopetank clients as a free bonus, check the audio demo over the RerasonTalk thread here: https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... 35#p442835

Great Britain
LABONERECORDINGS

Post by LABONERECORDINGS » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Heigen5 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:32 pm
CV is nothing that special tbh... is kind of making automatic automation in a 0-127 ratio. :geek: :ugeek: :geek:
Well... once you get out of the box and use CV > Audio (yes it's possible with Thor) and then use audio signals as CV sources for real world devices.... that's where the fun really begins. Done it both ways so far, we've got CV receiving generating guitar pedals (look up Parasit Studios for those that want to dive in) that takes audio in as if it was CV (since audio is really just a voltage), and can do some pretty nuts stuff. We've also got a CV generating pedal and a Sherman Filterbank which allows CV out, which we connect to our MOTU 2408 soundcard and then we convert the audio in from the Hardware Interface through a Thor into CV, so we can have real world units affecting Reason in a true meshing of real and digital.

That's when CV can get those special unpredictable effects aka happy accidents

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:04 pm

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:03 pm
Heigen5 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:32 pm
CV is nothing that special tbh... is kind of making automatic automation in a 0-127 ratio. :geek: :ugeek: :geek:
Well... once you get out of the box and use CV > Audio (yes it's possible with Thor) and then use audio signals as CV sources for real world devices.... that's where the fun really begins. Done it both ways so far, we've got CV receiving generating guitar pedals (look up Parasit Studios for those that want to dive in) that takes audio in as if it was CV (since audio is really just a voltage), and can do some pretty nuts stuff. We've also got a CV generating pedal and a Sherman Filterbank which allows CV out, which we connect to our MOTU 2408 soundcard and then we convert the audio in from the Hardware Interface through a Thor into CV, so we can have real world units affecting Reason in a true meshing of real and digital.

That's when CV can get those special unpredictable effects aka happy accidents
I still have some 'grey' areas in the CV-skills of mine. I think I should dig deeper into it. Some Reason run devices miss 'key-trigger' and all of them should have one IMO. Otherwise you would need to press play to hear the patch. Anyway, I have made some cool modulation effects by using Thor and Malström too. The Malström's strenght are it's LFO-bank. I've been wondering why some other devices don't have as many LFO's as Malström. Maybe the Props want it to be so, so people WOULD use the CV to build custom stuff by combining different devices with the noodles... Dunno.. :)

Great Britain
LABONERECORDINGS

Post by LABONERECORDINGS » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:19 am

Malstrom can be a little odd beast at times though.... the MOD parts of Malstrom always complete 1 cycle, even if you release during a mid-cycle.

Subtractor LFO (even free mode) always syncs to the start of the sequencer - it's not a 100% true free running like a hardware synth you turn on and leave on (those LFOs would truly be free running in the sense of the term)

Thor is pretty good for CVing, especially as CV > Audio // Audio > CV. Thor however CV out is always -0.5 to + 0.5, so you either have to double up on the Thor modmatrix (so 2 matrix lines same source same destination), or use a Spider CV to 'split' the CV from Thor and take 2 split CVs and put back into 2x merge sockets to create a +/-1 CV voltage output (without taking an extra slot on Thor)

Would be cool if there was a gate-method for Malstrom mods ... hmmm thinking Combinator for that now.... if we work one out we'll upload one

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:28 pm

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:19 am

Would be cool if there was a gate-method for Malstrom mods ... hmmm thinking Combinator for that now.... if we work one out we'll upload one
Ok, cool! It seems you have great skills for the CV-stuff, looking forward to learn from you bro. ;)

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Hey, can one somehow always have a 'run-trigger for all the run effects, like the Matrix, the players, and the Thor etc. by using combinators for that? AND WHEN I HAVEN'T PRESSED DOWN THE PLAY?