What other stuff you do than making music?

Need a break? Various sub-forums.
Blah, blah blaa blaa..
User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

What other stuff you do than making music?

Post by Heigen5 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi!

What other things you do than making music?
It can be a hobby or your dayjob or just something ordinary like watching TV.

I myself do some graphics, run this forum, try to make some proper food, socialize with my friends, exercising.
I don't watch that much of TV anymore and I don't play videogames that much of either anymore.
My interests have run out for those things.

I think I should start reading books. Would like to read a book that opens up some creative paths.
I'm not that religious, but interested in spirituality. I'm interested about science too.
I used to order Science-magazines and might start to order them again.
And yeah, I have a big fetish towards all the spiritual fields and people who are into it.
Here's a forum deticated to spiritual stuff: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/

The more mysterious themes, the better. Lots of the artists are into these fields as well.
I dunno, it's just cool to explore your inner world and see what your companions make out of it.
I think social medias like Facebook are too crap for these fields. The layout has no soul and it's too boring for that purpose.

There's lots of stuff you can do, other than Reasoning - and propably I have reached a point whereas I'm not pushing myself to finish a new song, like I've been doing for years. I rather take it slower and finish stuff with time. :8)I:

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Re: What other stuff you do than making music?

Post by Paralytik » Sat May 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Nice subject for a thread!

I'm into photography, specifically club photography. I see it as a hobby, but I get paid for photo gigs sometimes. I'm trying to cover events that friends have here in Oslo that aren't covered by any other media, especially reggae, drum and bass/dubstep/breakcore and some psytrance once in a while. I've been doing this for about 12 years, both in Sweden and Norway. I've met a lot of cool producers and DJs through this; Oliver Heldens, Dillon Francis, Salva, Sweatson Clank, Jay Scarlett, DJ Earl, Darq E Freaker, Igorrr, Uraki Riddim, CAIN, Teebee, Bong Ra, to name a few off the top of my head. It's really fun, but sometimes very hard too, like when there aren't that many people coming to the event and you still have to make it look like there are lots of people, haha.

I also read a lot of books, mostly scifi (right now I'm reading the The Expanse series, it's f-ing awesome!), but also other stuff like old English classics. I almost don't watch any films or tv series/Netflix/HBO, I prefer to read instead, and I try to write stuff too. Though, I do spend loads of time on Youtube for checking out old school electronic music that isn't available anywhere else, and tutorials on classical Western music theory.

Then there's the DJ hobby. I collect vinyl, both for playing out at clubs/bars and for just listening at home. I think I average about 3 records a month or so. I'm planning to push that a bit more eventually and also get into digital.

That's what I can think of right now. As you can see, I do a lot of creative stuff. :)

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:39 pm

I used to do something very similar in the 2003/2004 in Estonia, We had a nice group of people, mostly into underground music like dnb, breaks, jungle. My Dj friends we met were throwing events all over the Estonia and me, my brother and plenty of other friends collabed to shoot videos out of these shows, which then were edited in the video editors and were made to look interesting. We had our own show in a less popular cable TV-channel back then. There was shitloads of famous Dj's visiting our team. It was when dnb became hugely popular in Estonia. My best dnb tunes were also occasionaly played to the audience. Cool times! :slayer2:

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Post by Paralytik » Sat May 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Haha, nice! I want to do more music videos and stuff too, but I haven't ventured into the world of video editing software yet. Probably should. I helped a friend film a video a couple of years ago, that was fun. Another dude did the editing afterwards. He used some stock footage of a tv in the beginning and in the end where it gets smashed, I didn't film that. The rest is my work.

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:32 am

Ok, got some time to check this video, a really chill music, nice relaxing vibe. Cool video too, including the ending.
Indeed, a video adds more value to a good song, it makes you entertained visually as well. :thumbup2:

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Post by Paralytik » Sat May 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Yeah, that dude is very talented, he made the beat too. I'm glad you like it.